Antique Native American Indian

Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross

Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross
Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross

Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross

Fort Garry, also known as Upper Fort Garry, was a Hudson's Bay Company trading post at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers in what is now downtown Winnipeg. It was established in 1822 on or near the site of the North West Company's Fort Gibraltar. Fort Garry was named after Nicholas Garry, deputy governor of the Hudson's Bay Company.

It served as the center of fur trade within the Red River Colony. In 1826, a severe flood destroyed the fort. It was rebuilt in 1835 by the HBC and named Upper Fort Garry to differentiate it from "the Lower Fort, " or Lower Fort Garry, 32 km downriver, which was established in 1831. Throughout the mid-to-late 19th century, Upper Fort Garry played a minor role in the actual trading of furs, but was central to the administration of the HBC and the surrounding settlements of Native American and Colonial people.

The Council of Assiniboia, the administrative and judicial body of the Red River Colony mainly run by Hudson's Bay Company officials, met at Upper Fort Garry. Title: Hudson's Bay Company Indian Pipe Tomahawk.

Description: Great Lakes culture pipe tomahawk and original haft. Presentation copper plates attached to the haft; Given to the Huron people at Fort Garry 1863 for "PAIX HURON" which translates to Peace with Huron. The copper plates are original and show signs of age such as the edges are bending and curling due to years and years of varying moisture in the wood haft causing the haft to shrink and expand, causing warping to the copper plates.

Also a nice trade cross attached, hand engraved with a conjoined HB mark, just beautiful. The head has an HBC small mark that has been counterstamped with an unknown mark. Punch engraving on the perimeter of the head. Traditional weeping heart cutout in the blade. Hot file branding all along the haft. Old brass tacks with good old square shanks.

All original and very old! A great centerpiece to your collection. Haft is about 24 in total length. Culture: Aboriginal - Huron Indian. The item "Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross" is in sale since Tuesday, September 12, 2017.

This item is in the category "Antiques\Ethnographic\Native American". The seller is "rickrestored" and is located in Billings, Montana. This item can be shipped worldwide.
  • Maker: Hudson's Bay Company
  • Original/Reproduction: Original
  • Material: Iron

Original 1863 Indian Pipe Tomahawk Hudson's Bay Company Presented to Huron Cross